St. Joseph Catholic Church is located at 14th and N Streets in Fortuna.
St. Patrick's Catholic Church is located at Park and Pershing Streets in Loleta.
PASTOR - Fr. Manuel Chavez
The Parish Office and Rectory for both churches are located at 2312 Newburg Rd., Fortuna, CA 95540.
Telephone - (707) 725-1148
Fax - (707) 725-1149
e-mail - firstname.lastname@example.org
The Parish Activity Center (PAC) is located adjacent to the Parish Office on Newburg Rd.
St. Joseph's Pantry Shelf is located on Newburg Road adjacent to the Rectory and Parish Activity Center.
In 1865, St. Bernard's Parish was established to include all of Humboldt and Del Norte Counties. In 1868, the Table Bluff Catholic Church was built near the present day cemetary. In 1871 Immaculate Conception Church was completed in Rohnerville, located on the hillside in front of the Rohnerville Cemetary. Mount St. Joseph's College, near the present Rohnerville Airport, was opened in 1872. Built by Father Patrick Henneberry, it was designed to support a Novitiate and educate young men from the wilderness areas of Humboldt County. It was a boarding school and included students from outside the area. In 1878, the Humboldt/Del Norte area was divided into two parishes - St. Bernard's in the north and St. Mary's in Ferndale. During 1889, the college was forced to close due to lack of sufficient enrollment and funds. The priests at the college celebrated Mass on alternate Sundays at the Rohnerville and Table Bluff mission churches. In 1909, Father Michael Gaffney was appointed to serve the mission churches of Rohnerville, Scotia and Table Bluff and to establish a parish in the area that would become Fortuna. The parish was formally established in 1909.
On September 4, 1911, the first Mass was said in the new church of St. Joseph's. Built at a cost of approximately $6,000, Fr. Gaffney continued as the pastor. The church in Rohnerville continued in use until 1925, when it was torn down. In October of that year, Fr. Gaffney moved from Rohnerville into the new rectory built adjacent to St. Joseph's. In 1925, St. Patrick's in Loleta was constructed and the Table Bluff Mission was moved to that location. St. Patrick's was a mission church to St. Joseph's. In 1930, St. Patrick's in Scotia became an independent parish.
In 1962, the Diocese of Santa Rosa was formed and St. Joseph's and St. Patrick's became part of that new Diocese. In 1967 a new rectory was built on Newburg Rd. next to the school. In 1971 the school was closed. In 1980 the St. Joseph's Pantry Shelf was established to provide emergency food to those in need.
We give thanks to Almighty God for the men who have given their lives to serve Him and our local church.
Father Manuel Chavez - 2012 -
Father Ramon Pons - 2010 - 2012
Father Louis Coddaire - 2006 - 2010
Father James Trent - 1999 - 2006
Father Norman Simoneau - 1995 - 1999
Fr. Michael E. Kelly - 1994 - 1995
Father Michaelraj Philominsamy and Fr. Mark Mosher - 1994
Father Michael Cloney - 1988 - 1994
Father Timothy O'Sullivan - 1985 - 1988
Father Thomas W. Devereaux - 1979 - 1985
Father Vincent Radvina - 1974 - 1979
Father Norman Van Sile - 1970 - 1973
Father John T. Butler - 1968 - 1970
Father Daniel McCarthy - 1966 - 1968
Father Michael Manogue - 1952 - 1966
Father Michael Gaffney - 1940 - 1952
Father James John Hynes - 1932 - 1940
Father Patrick E. Meehan - 1931 - 1932
Father Michael Gaffney - 1909 - 1931